[Taxacom] Nomenclatorial problem

Thomas Pape tpape at snm.ku.dk
Tue Oct 7 02:42:55 CDT 2014

I agree with Laurent.
I have given Article 13.4 some thought recently, and I do not think this Article is equivocal.

Note the expression "combined description". This can only be taken to mean a description where both taxa together (i.e., the nominal genus and the nominal species) are described using the same description.
A combined description of a new genus and an already named species will not confer availability to the genus-group name. A new genus without description including a single new species with a description will not confer availability to the genus-group name.

The "strict" interpretation is the only interpretation.

/Thomas