[Taxacom] Nomenclatorial problem

Stephen Thorpe stephen_thorpe at yahoo.co.nz
Wed Oct 8 17:44:33 CDT 2014

Article 13.4 is still somewhat unclear when there is only one new species (and no other included species). There does seem to be a link here with Art. 68.2.1, in that both articles appear to be explicitly talking about cases where there is more than one new species included, and the "n.g., n.sp." is used to single out the relevant one, but if there is only one, then it is obviously the type species (in the case of Art. 68.2.1), and so obviously a combined genus/species description (in the case of Art. 13.4), particularly since pre-2000 new names don't have to be tagged as new. The question is whether or not we can assume the obvious! Consider this: what would you make of a really old description, headed simply Aus bus (name never used before), followed by a description of the species? Could this not be a combined new genus/species description without any tags? For a pre-1931 name, it could be (Art. 12.2.6). For a 1930-1999 name, I'm not sure...

Stephen