[Taxacom] Windows XP Mode

Buz Wilson buzwilson at gmail.com
Fri Oct 10 14:19:13 CDT 2014

If you were using VirtualBox as your virtual machine manager, attaching
drives outside of the virtual machine is simple. Highlight the XP
virtual machine in the starting dialog, go to settings, shared folders,
right click the list of shared folders and add any folder that you want
to access on the host system from the virtual machine. This is really
useful, because XP doesn't need to know anything about the host file
system (ext4 in my case) - the data are provided as in a networked
drive. Other virtual machine managers should do something similar. If
you are limited to the Microsoft universe, Win7 virtualization of XP
works well. A student who works with me uses it exclusively, so I can
confirm Joe Kirkbride's observation. Does anyone know if the XP virtual
machine works on Win 8.1 or 8.2?
best wishes
Buz

George D.F. (Buz) Wilson, Ph.D.
Saugatuck Natural History Laboratory
Research Associate, US National Museum of Natural History
email: buzwilson at gmail.com