[Taxacom] Which is accepted name Acacia modesta Wall. or Senegalia modesta (Wall.) P. J. H. Hutter

Paul van Rijckevorsel dipteryx at freeler.nl
Sat Oct 11 03:05:57 CDT 2014

Well, as a general rule, the accepted name depends on
the taxonomy adopted.

In this case, if a traditional sense of the genus Acacia is
adopted, the name Acacia modesta may be used. If a
modern circumscription of Acacia is adopted, then the
name Senegalia modesta would be correct.

Unfortunately, lists such as The Plant List (or GRIN) don't
give out such underlying information. This is a regrettable
limitation, but it comes with the format chosen.

Paul