[Taxacom] Which is accepted name Acacia modesta Wall.or Senegalia modesta (Wall.) P. J. H. Hutter

Paul van Rijckevorsel dipteryx at freeler.nl
Sat Oct 11 08:15:53 CDT 2014

Well, obviously there are shortcomings in The Plant List,
but that is a point that was already made earlier. And as
I pointed out earlier, for mosses it appears to consist
exclusively of errors.

So it looked safe enough to leave this aside, and take
the question at face value. In this case the 'error' is much
less serious than in other cases. There are no copying
errors and both names may be used (they are not
illegitimate, or otherwise unavailable for use). In this case
there are two "accepted names" because two different
databases have been used: Tropicos and ILDIS. The
latter is a quality database (http://www.ildis.org/about/),
but IIRC has not been updated for a long time, so it is not
surprising that it holds an older taxonomic viewpoint. In
addition The Plant List-entry on Senegalia modesta
explicitly provides a link to the basionym, so the reader
has all information he might expect at hand. As such things
go, it is easy to point out entries in The Plant List which are
ten times worse, and it has already been established that
there are errors.

Paul