[Taxacom] Windows XP Mode

Régine Vignes Lebbe regine.vignes_lebbe at upmc.fr
Mon Oct 13 01:40:36 CDT 2014

We have developed webservices for identification and to convert DELTA
file to SDD format. See http://www.identificationkey.fr/
We would be pleased to have some comments and feedback, if this could be
useful for some DELTA users.

Régine

Le 10/10/2014 20:55, Kirkbride, Joseph a écrit :
> I have restarted using the DELTA system after several years without using it. My current office PC is running 64-bit Windows 7 Professional, and CONFOR will not run on it. I had to find an old machine running Windows XP to use DELTA. Some years ago, Mike had mentioned that the way to resolve this was to install a virtual machine running an earlier version of Windows. I tried that some years ago, and it was very cumbersome moving the files into and out of the virtual machine. Carrying files back and forth on a USB drive between my current office machine and an old machine was also awkward.
>
> I did a Google search on running Windows XP on a Windows 7 machine, and found the following Microsoft web page:
>    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/install-and-use-windows-xp-mode-in-windows-7
> This web page explains the installation of Windows XP Mode and Windows Virtual PC and starting the system up the first time. This system can be run only on Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise, or Ultimate. Windows XP Mode and Windows Virtual PC are easy to download and install.
>
> The nice thing about this system is that when Windows XP is running in the virtual machine, you can start Windows Explorer in the virtual machine and the drives of the virtual machine and the Windows 7 PC all appear and can be accessed. Therefore it is easy to move files back and forth between the virtual machine and Windows 7. I copied the installation files for the original DELTA system, open DELTA, and DIANA from the Windows 7 directory, and then installed them without problems. I copied my DLT files from Windows 7, and have been using them in the virtual machine with CONFOR. This is one solution for running DELTA on 64-bit Windows 7.
>
> Joe K
>
> Joseph H. Kirkbride, Jr., Research Botanist
> USDA-ARS U.S. National Arboretum
> 3501 New York Avenue NE
> Washington, DC 20002-1958 USA
> Tel.: 1-202-245-4534
> FAX: 1-202-245-5973
> E-mail: joseph.kirkbride at ars.usda.gov<mailto:joseph.kirkbride at ars.usda.gov>
> Mobile: 301-602-6958
>

> This electronic message contains information generated by the USDA solely for the intended recipients. Any unauthorized interception of this message or the use or disclosure of the information it contains may violate the law and subject the violator to civil or criminal penalties. If you believe you have received this message in error, please notify the sender and delete the email immediately.
>
> Celebrating 27 years of Taxacom in 2014.

Régine Vignes Lebbe, Professeur UPMC
Institut de Systématique, Evolution, Biodiversité
UMR 7205, MNHN, UPMC, CNRS, EPHE
Laboratoire Informatique & Systématique (http://www.infosyslab.fr )
http://www.infosyslab.fr
http://isyeb.mnhn.fr/