[Taxacom] De-extinction & Rhachistia aldabrae

Stephen Thorpe stephen_thorpe at yahoo.co.nz
Wed Oct 15 20:14:44 CDT 2014

Yes, I have a vaguely similar case from N.Z., where a new species of beetle (medium sized and flightless) has just been described on the flimsiest of evidence (and I have some definite, but inconclusive, evidence against it being a new species), claimed to be restricted to one tiny location and sparse even there. My attempts to publish a short note to flag the issue hit a brick wall. My note was rejected as being "purely negative" and "contributing nothing". Well, given that conservation resources are limited, and that there is a pot of money for research in such species of potential conservation concern, I would say that it is very important to point out the flaws in relevant published taxonomy. Without such scrutiny, taxonomists could manufacture "new species" just to get hold of said conservation funding. My evidence against this beetle means that there is no way to recognise it (either morphologically or geographically), which makes the assessment of
 its conservation status a bit tricky!

Stephen