[Taxacom] De-extinction & Rhachistia aldabrae

JF Mate aphodiinaemate at gmail.com
Tue Oct 21 01:08:54 CDT 2014

This is a very different situation here. Ladybirds are the closest
thing to butterflies in regards to public appreciation: pretty, easily
distinguishable (the larger ones, not talking of Scymini and friends),
"safe"; and they are "good" bugs. Also, how many invertebrates can one
identify from a typical nature photo, no matter how good the macro? I
think this simply highlights how thin on the ground amateur
entomologists are in Australia. If a large, colourful ladybird can
hide in the most populous state in Australia, what hope is there for
the other 99% of inverts?

Jason