[Taxacom] De-extinction & Rhachistia aldabrae

JF Mate aphodiinaemate at gmail.com
Wed Oct 22 10:13:30 CDT 2014

Hi Bob,

I agree the scale is altogether different but even in densely
populated areas in Australia even basic invertebrate biodiversity
knowledge is lacking. The decline in "natural history" amateurs is
global and cannot be compensated by the explosion of macrophotography
since they (mostly) are taking pictures of "bugs": bigger, smaller,
red, blue or yellow. If you don´t know what you are photographing then
it is like it doesn´t exist. For Europe (with some exceptions) the
decline may not be as damaging. The fauna is well known and there are
plenty of guides and keys that digital enthusiasts could use. The goal
here has at least been partially achieved. In Australia, other than
butterflies and a couple of other popular groups you are out of luck.

Cristian. Spain is in a similar (albeit not as extreme) situation to
Australia. High biodiversity, incomplete knowledge but a declining
body of amateurs (and legislation that doesn´t help either).

Best

Jason