[Taxacom] pdf request

Laurent Raty l.raty at skynet.be
Fri Oct 24 05:17:01 CDT 2014

Dear Fabio,

You can download Voss & Sweeney 1998, including Mangold 1998, here:

https://repository.si.edu/handle/10088/6317

What you need is not a designation of the type locality, but a valid
designation of a neotype--ie, an explicit published designation of one
particular, individually identifiable, extant specimen, deposited in a
specified collection, to act as the new unique name-bearing type for the
nominal species. (This designation must meet all the conditions
specified in Article 75 of the Code.) Once this neotype is validly
designated, the type locality will be its locality of origin.

Mangold 1998 only wrote: "A neotype has been selected from the western
Mediterranean Sea (Banyuls-sur-Mer, France), and the species is being
redescribed (Hochberg and Mangold, MS)", which is only a statement of
intent to designate this specimen as a neotype. This has absolutely no
effect on the type locality of Octopus vulgaris Cuvier, and strongly
suggests that, in 1998, no neotytpe had (yet) been designated.

Cheers,
Laurent -