[Taxacom] De-extinction & Rhachistia aldabrae

Fred Schueler bckcdb at istar.ca
Sun Oct 26 20:25:55 CDT 2014

Quoting "Walker, Ken" <kwalker at museum.vic.gov.au>:

> I define citizen science projects such as the “Great Koala Count” as
> a “Top Down” project and it fits perfectly with the definition of
> “citizen science” as used by Earthwatch.  Personally, I prefer the
> “Bottom Up” approach to “citizen science” where amateurs employ
> serendipity to record and share data. I call this “adding value to a
> hobby” and that’s my “working” definition for “citizen science”.

* add "koalameters" to the "frogometers" and "birdometers" of
http://pinicola.ca/AdoptX.htm - our proposal there didn't get funded
or launched, however.

fred.
           Frederick W. Schueler & Aleta Karstad
Vulnerable Watersheds - http://vulnerablewaters.blogspot.ca/
     study our books - http://pinicola.ca/books/index.htm
"[The] two fundamental steps of scientific thought - the conjecture
and refutation of Popper - have little place in the usual conception
of intelligence. If something is to be dismissed as inadequate, it is
surely not Darwin [, whose] works manifest the activity of a mind
seeking for wisdom, a value which conventional philosophy has largely
abandoned." Ghiselen, 1969. Triumph of the Darwinian Method, p 237.