[Taxacom] What A Great Time to be a Young Systematist

Peter Rauch peterar at berkeley.edu
Mon Oct 27 19:25:45 CDT 2014

Mike states: "The death of US systematic entomology is no where in sight!"

But, from an ecological / environmental catastrophic perspective, is this
even in the ball park of Enough Resources being dedicated to the Need ?

It's one thing to look at the absolute scale of entomological systematics
enterprise, and observe that it is stable or even "growing".  It's quite
another to look at the (totally unsatisfied) need relative to how much of
the World's habitats/faunas have been decimated over the past 50 years.

Of course, the need is not only for entomological systematists, not only
systematists, not only for ecologists, not only for conservationists.
They're all AWOL from the World Societal Need --to learn about what we
have, to educate others about it, to influence Policy Makers, to thwart
Reckless Development == Environmental Havoc == Ruthless Selfish Ignorant
"Management" of our natural resources.  We do need activists, warriors,
recruitment of Youth who know a bug when they see one, who know what to do
with that information when they gather it.

This is no time to beome soothed with maintenance of the status quo.
Indeed, there is no better time to be a young systematist --there shouldn't
ever be a worse time for it either.

Peter