[Taxacom] What A Great Time to be a Young Systematist

Peter Rauch peterar at berkeley.edu
Mon Oct 27 22:05:29 CDT 2014

My definition of "enough", if it is to be called that, doesn't preemtively
doom us. Instead, it rings our bell, for a call to action. The action is to
avoid complacency regarding how many resources we require to avoid
continued degradation of our world biodiversity. It's a definition that
suggests we need to do a lot more --including recognizing and supporting a
MUCH GRANDER societal system of support for systematics that underpins our
ability to understand how our biodiversity support our Humanity for better
and for worse (which, of course, is of no concern to Mother Nature, but
only to us humans alone).

So, "quit" ? No. Be happy that systematics is alive and becoming ever more
sophisticated in its science ? Sure.   But, let's keep all that in relative
perspective --it's still only a piddling drop in the bucket. The new
generations of systematic biologists and their brethren have got a huge job
before them --way beyond the resources currently allocated or anticipated,
and it's only getting bigger and more intractable (from a Humanity survival
perspective).

Peter