[Taxacom] What A Great Time to be a Young Systematist

David Campbell pleuronaia at gmail.com
Fri Oct 31 09:14:51 CDT 2014

Part of the difference is that fact that entomology has long been
recognized as important for agriculture and thus is operating under a
somewhat different context for employment than many other fields, although
there is a current opening for a malacologist in a similar field - emphasis
on pests and invasives.  It's good to know that there are jobs in some
fields of systematics, but in many others we're losing expertise and
collections with no replacement.  Funk's list also includes bioinformatics
being perceived as a replacement for, rather than an aid to, systematic
expertise.

--
Dr. David Campbell
Assistant Professor, Geology