[Taxacom] remove snail shell

John Grehan calabar.john at gmail.com
Fri Apr 10 13:10:02 CDT 2015

Apologies in advance as this is not a taxonomic question (and may seem
trivial), but there are so many experts here that I figure someone would
know. One of my 6th grade students asked what would happen if the shell was
removed from a snail in a way that did not damage the mantle surface (if
this were possible), would the snail continue to live and function ok
(assuming it remained in moist conditions). I would assume that it would be
ok and just secrete a new shell, or would the shock be sufficient to kill
the snail. Please respond to me directly). Many thanks.

John Grehan