[Taxacom] Wikispecies has gone to the dogs, best to disregard it now

Stephen Thorpe stephen_thorpe at yahoo.co.nz
Wed Apr 29 17:03:36 CDT 2015

There has been a "military takeover" of Wikispecies, by people who know not what they are doing (see, for example, this article http://species.wikimedia.org/wiki/Austrophthiracarus_longisetosus in which homonymy has been confused with synonymy!) I have been excluded and blocked from editing the site in future. The following comment, posted by another editor who is alarmed by what is happening (please excuse his English) is illustrative of the current situation, so I copy it below from the Wikispecies Village Pump:

Reducing time for working at Wikispecies

At Wikispecies about 2 million taxon pages are missing. Instead of really contributing to Wikispecies, that is adding new pages, there is a playing around with an AWB and modifying or deleting things that do no harm, like the double square brackets of taxon names on hundreds of thousand pages. And proudly is told of "contributions". That are no contributions. There is nothing professional in it. Wikispecies is the only Wiki that expects to have users from the scientific community. Observing what is done at present, will not attract such users. It will lead to a number of closed Wikis for groups of organisms, as first ones are already existing, so that such unprofessional actions are not possible.
I'll considerably reduce my working time here under the present circumstances. Kempf EK (talk) 16:18, 28 April 2015 (UTC)