[Taxacom] are early online publications code-compliant?

Richard Pyle deepreef at bishopmuseum.org
Tue Apr 7 01:38:49 CDT 2015

> Even that is somewhat unclear. If the PDF is reupped with (previously missing)
> evidence of ZooBank preregistration (where "pre-" means "before the date
> reupped"), then it might be available before the print edition, but there are a
> lot of complexities ...

The general consensus -- at least among Commissioners I have discussed this with -- is that a work becomes available the moment it fulfills all requirements of the Code.  This has always been true for printed works; and there is no reason to think it should be any different for electronic works. Using your hypothetical example above, the moment the "reupped" PDF (with included evidence for ZooBank registration) is obtainable (and assuming all other criteria are fulfilled), is the moment the work becomes available.  The same would apply to cases when the ZooBank record is subsequently updated to include required elements, such as the ISSN or indication of an online Archive.

Not really all that complex, actually.

Of course, all of these problems will vanish when if/when we adopt the Registered=Available model of registration (leaving "Publication" to the realm of science; not part of the realm of nomenclatural availability).

Aloha,
Rich

Richard L. Pyle, PhD
Database Coordinator for Natural Sciences | Associate Zoologist in Ichthyology | Dive Safety Officer
Department of Natural Sciences, Bishop Museum, 1525 Bernice St., Honolulu, HI 96817
Ph: (808)848-4115, Fax: (808)847-8252 email: deepreef at bishopmuseum.org