[Taxacom] are early online publications code-compliant?

Dr Brian Taylor dr.brian.taylor at ntlworld.com
Tue Apr 7 09:10:13 CDT 2015

I agree with the ideal principle of Zoobank registration but do not find the
process easy to understand and, I think, you all forget there is no "must",
i.e. compulsion, as regards adhering to the Code. The definition of a
"publisher" also worries me - I am not enamoured of Zootaxa, Zookeys, etc.

Brian Taylor

On 07/04/2015 07:38, "Richard Pyle" <deepreef at bishopmuseum.org> wrote:

>> Even that is somewhat unclear. If the PDF is reupped with (previously
>> missing)
> evidence of ZooBank preregistration (where "pre-" means "before
>> the date
> reupped"), then it might be available before the print edition,
>> but there are a
> lot of complexities ...

The general consensus -- at least
>> among Commissioners I have discussed this with -- is that a work becomes
>> available the moment it fulfills all requirements of the Code.  This has
>> always been true for printed works; and there is no reason to think it should
>> be any different for electronic works. Using your hypothetical example above,
>> the moment the "reupped" PDF (with included evidence for ZooBank
>> registration) is obtainable (and assuming all other criteria are fulfilled),
>> is the moment the work becomes available.  The same would apply to cases when
>> the ZooBank record is subsequently updated to include required elements, such
>> as the ISSN or indication of an online Archive.

Not really all that complex,
>> actually.

Of course, all of these problems will vanish when if/when we adopt
>> the Registered=Available model of registration (leaving "Publication" to the
>> realm of science; not part of the realm of nomenclatural
>> availability).

Aloha,
Rich

Richard L. Pyle, PhD
Database Coordinator for
>> Natural Sciences | Associate Zoologist in Ichthyology | Dive Safety
>> Officer
Department of Natural Sciences, Bishop Museum, 1525 Bernice St.,
>> Honolulu, HI 96817
Ph: (808)848-4115, Fax: (808)847-8252 email:
>> deepreef at bishopmuseum.org

Taxacom Mailing
Taxacom at mailman.nhm.ku.edu
http://mailman.nhm.ku.edu/cgi-bin/mailman/lis
>> tinfo/taxacom
The Taxacom Archive back to 1992 may be searched at:
>> http://taxacom.markmail.org

Celebrating 28 years of Taxacom in 2015.