[Taxacom] Use of "affinis" as specific epithet

Alex Popovkin popovkin at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 13:53:59 CDT 2015

Thanks, Peter.

I've  given an example of R. affinis in order to elicit from taxonomists a
general rule in applying that epithet. There're many more of them, all(?)
from the 18-19th century descriptions.

My own thinking: it must have been a result of abbreviating a more complete
name to the binomial standard.

Alex Popovkin, Bahia, Brazil
Field botanist, carrying on the tradition...
Media donor
Editor/revisor/tradutor para inglês
Over 16,000 images of flora (and fauna) of the northern littoral of Bahia,
Brazil: http://bit.ly/9d0YRA <http://tinyurl.com/popovkin>
"Nomina si nescis, perit et cognitio rerum" (Carl Linnaeus, *Philosophia
Botanica*)
http://www.inaturalist.org/projects/flora-and-fauna-of-the-atlantic-forest-northeastern-bahia-brazil
http://popovkin.wordpress.com/
http://www.google.com/profiles/popovkin