[Taxacom] are early online publications code-compliant?

Richard Pyle deepreef at bishopmuseum.org
Tue Apr 7 15:54:28 CDT 2015

Hi Stephen,

As you note, mis-matches between cited date (within work) and actual date
have always existed.  Electronic works require the addition of the date of
publication to be within the work itself, but nobody ever actually believed
that such dates could always be trusted to be accurate.

You've nicely outlined EXACTLY why I have always been opposed to the
"registered+published=available" model.  The fundamental issue is that, for
the first time, we have Code requirements that are de-coupled in time. As
such, date of availability must be regarded as the latter of two separate
things (registration requirements fulfilled, and publication requirements
fulfilled).  That's not complex per-se, but it does establish a fundamental
requirement for checking two things (instead of one). Fortunately, one of
those things is straightforward (date of registration). Note: one thing that
is not currently on the ZooBank website, but could be added, is the date on
which all requirements of registration for electronic works were completed.
I plan to add this when I have time.

Importantly however, it's easier to determine *that* a work is available,
than it is to determine *when* it was available, and the "when" part only
really comes into play in cases where there are names in competition for
priority.

Aloha,
Rich

Richard L. Pyle, PhD
Database Coordinator for Natural Sciences | Associate Zoologist in
Ichthyology | Dive Safety Officer
Department of Natural Sciences, Bishop Museum, 1525 Bernice St., Honolulu,
HI 96817
Ph: (808)848-4115, Fax: (808)847-8252 email: deepreef at bishopmuseum.org

Retrospectively,
> there does not seem to be any way to determine when the LSID was added to
> the work.
>
> Stephen

> On Tue, 7/4/15, Richard Pyle <deepreef at bishopmuseum.org> wrote:
>
>  Subject: RE: [Taxacom] are early online publications code-compliant?
>  To: "'Stephen Thorpe'" <stephen_thorpe at yahoo.co.nz>
>  Cc: taxacom at mailman.nhm.ku.edu, gread at actrix.gen.nz, "'Frank T. Krell'"
> <Frank.Krell at dmns.org>
>
>  > Even that is
>  somewhat unclear. If the PDF is reupped with (previously
>  missing)
>  > evidence of ZooBank
>  preregistration (where "pre-" means "before  the date  > reupped"), then
it
> might  be available before the print edition, but there are a  > lot of
> complexities ...
>
>  The general consensus -- at
>  least among Commissioners I have discussed this with -- is  that a work
> becomes available the moment it fulfills all  requirements of the Code.
This