[Taxacom] are early online publications code-compliant?

Stephen Thorpe stephen_thorpe at yahoo.co.nz
Tue Apr 7 16:05:05 CDT 2015

>and the "when" part only really comes into play in cases where there are names in competition for priority<

Yes, but we seem to have a reality in which authors and publishers are "protecting" their new names, for the few months between online and print publication, by preregistering Online First articles on ZooBank. Given that the print issue typically follows in a few months, the only rational reason I can see for making the Online version available is "protection of priority". If you take what I wrote in my last post a step further, you will see that e-publications can easily be backdated by registering them on ZooBank before they are published (or even written!) and then citing the LSID plus a suitably backdated publication date in the work!

Stephen