[Taxacom] are early online publications code-compliant?

John Noyes j.noyes at nhm.ac.uk
Wed Apr 8 05:11:18 CDT 2015

Dear Rich and others,

I still have this problem about prepubs (EarlyView, etc.). I know that many of you think that "metadata" is not important, but when maintaining a taxonomic catalogue it is difficult to know whether one should enter the pagination of the prepublication or that of the compiled publication. The correct pagination is important, especially where many taxa are dealt with in the same publication. There is also the problem of volume number which is often omitted from the prepublication. If the version of record, in the case of prepublications, is the version where the name is first made available then this is the one that has the correct pagination. However when the compiled version is published the prepublication is no longer available (or am I wrong here) only the compiled version, with the different pagination and volume number, is available. I know it seems to be a minor thing but it becomes important (to me at least) when cataloguing or maintaining a database, whether it be on-line or otherwise. I am glad that Frank is trying to clear up the problem, but in my view, we are being pushed into this by the publishers and it is unnecessary. I do not think that prepublications are necessary in taxonomy. At the moment we have two differing views, one driven by the publishers (that prepublications are OK), and one that is held by the majority of taxonomists that I have discussed this with (that prepubs are not OK). If publishers could include the correct pagination and volume number with the (uncompiled) prepublication (i.e. an exact copy of the compiled version then I would have no problem in accepting the publication as available, but as it stands I find this difficult because it is apparently in conflict with the code as it stands.

John

John Noyes
Scientific Associate
Department of Life Sciences
Natural History Museum
Cromwell Road
South Kensington
London SW7 5BD
UK
jsn at nhm.ac.uk
Tel.: +44 (0) 207 942 5594
Fax.: +44 (0) 207 942 5229

Universal Chalcidoidea Database (everything you wanted to know about chalcidoids and more):
www.nhm.ac.uk/chalcidoids