[Taxacom] are early online publications code-compliant?

Stephen Thorpe stephen_thorpe at yahoo.co.nz
Wed Apr 8 15:46:36 CDT 2015

John,

The prepub and the "compiled" article are *the same version* (or should be). The metadata isn't part of the article, so if two articles differ only in metadata, they are the same version. Versions differ only if the content differs. The metadata is useful for signposting (e.g. the start page of a description in a long article), so it makes sense to use the compiled page numbers when these are assigned (and before then, or alternatively, one can use, e.g. [6] for the sixth page of the article). There may be a problem for e-only publications without pagination, but these are still rare. I do not understand you when you say [quote] However when the compiled version is published the prepublication is no longer available (or am I wrong here) only the compiled version, with the different pagination and volume number, is available [unquote]. Do you mean "available" in the nomenclatural sense, or in the everyday sense?

Cheers,

Stephen