[Taxacom] are early online publications code-compliant?

Michael Heads m.j.heads at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 19:41:25 CDT 2015

Geoff,

As you emphasized earlier, if the article was publically available on the
net in 2014, in this day and age it's de facto published in 2014. It's
natural that the author of the 2014 'internet names',  doesn't see a
problem, especially if they have grown up with the internet. If it is a
problem for WoRMS then WoRMS need to change their rules. It is quite
possible that I and other biogeographers, systematists, ecologists,
conservationists etc. have already used the 'unpublished' 'internet names'
from the Cladistics 2014 paper in our own publications - this is now
standard practice.

Michael

--
Dunedin, New Zealand.

My books:

Craw, R., J. Grehan, M. Heads. 1999. *Panbiogeography: Tracking the history
of life*. Oxford University Press, New York.
http://books.google.co.nz/books?id=Bm0_QQ3Z6GUC
<http://books.google.co.nz/books?id=Bm0_QQ3Z6GUC&dq=panbiogeography&source=gbs_navlinks_s>

Heads, M. 2012.* Molecular panbiogeography of the tropics. *University of
California Press, Berkeley. www.ucpress.edu/book.php?isbn=9780520271968

Heads, M. 2014.* Biogeography of Australasia:  A molecular analysis*.
Cambridge University Press, Cambridge. www.cambridge.org/9781107041028