[Taxacom] are early online publications code-compliant?

John Noyes j.noyes at nhm.ac.uk
Thu Apr 9 03:15:33 CDT 2015

Hi Stephen,

As you know, I disagree with you and a few others with regards to the so-called metadata. I believe that the page numbers and volume numbers are part of the article because, as you say, they act as a signpost to specific parts of the article. Where does "metadata" start and end? For instance, if for some reason, the figure numbers were changed but the actual content of the article were not changed then do figure numbers constitute metadata as they only point to specific parts of the article. The same could be said of other information. So far as I know there is no definition of metadata in the Code and as it stands prepublications are in conflict with the code if any part of the article is changed and that includes pages numbers, volume numbers etc. Until such a time that metadata is defined in the code and the code says that changes in metadata are allowed and do not make the prepublication unavailable then I, and others, shall continue to regards prepubs as unavailable. I hope there is a change in the Code that defines this one way or the other, but at the same time I hope this change is not retrospective as the fourth edition was because this causes all sorts of unseen, unwanted problems.

John

John Noyes
Scientific Associate
Department of Life Sciences
Natural History Museum
Cromwell Road
South Kensington
London SW7 5BD
UK
jsn at nhm.ac.uk
Tel.: +44 (0) 207 942 5594
Fax.: +44 (0) 207 942 5229

Universal Chalcidoidea Database (everything you wanted to know about chalcidoids and more):
www.nhm.ac.uk/chalcidoids