[Taxacom] Nomenclatural anarchy (was: are early online publications code-compliant?)

Michael Schmitt michael.schmitt at uni-greifswald.de
Thu Apr 9 04:37:00 CDT 2015

Dear colleagues,

the posting cited below opens - to me, at least - the question how relevant we regard the Code, the Commission, and/or tradition in our business of taxonomy. "Standard practitioners" regard "publicly available" as "published", no matter what the Code says. Fishbase does not put a comma between author and name, no matter how long this was good practice, the arachnologists cite Clerck's names as of 1757 (contra art. 3), and the lepidopterists ignore gender agreement (contra art. 31.2).

I find this frustrating. Who, if not we - the academics - should respect a set of rules established by fellow scientists through a democratic process?

Just my humble opinion.

Sincerely
Michael

Prof.Dr. Michael Schmitt
Ernst-Moritz-Arndt-Universitaet
Allgemeine & Systematische Zoologie
Anklamer Str. 20
D-17489 Greifswald
Germany

Tel.: ++49 (0) 3834-86 4242
Fax: ++49 (0) 3834-86 4098
E-Mail: michael.schmitt at uni-greifswald.de

http://www.mnf.uni-greifswald.de/institute/fr-biologie/institute-und-forschung/zool-institut-museum/allgemeine-und-systematische-zoologie/personal-staff/prof-dr-michael-schmitt.html

" if the article was publically available on the net in 2014, in this day and age it's de facto published in 2014. It's natural that the author of the 2014 'internet names',  doesn't see a problem, especially if they have grown up with the internet. If it is a problem for WoRMS then WoRMS need to change their rules. It is quite possible that I and other biogeographers, systematists, ecologists, conservationists etc. have already used the 'unpublished' 'internet names'
from the Cladistics 2014 paper in our own publications - this is now standard practice."