[Taxacom] Nomenclatural anarchy

Francisco Welter-Schultes fwelter at gwdg.de
Thu Apr 9 05:40:39 CDT 2015

Citing Clerck's names from 1757 should simply be legalized in the next
edition of the Code, and that problem would be solved.
Ignoring gender agreement in lepidopterology is another thing that could
be legalized by the Code. These two things could have been done since
long time ago. There is a long tradition behind, and a stable behaviour
of experts.

I do not find such issues frustrating, I rather see them as a challenge
for people who love to find easy ways how to solve problems.

Comma between author and year is a recommendation, not a legal rule in
the Code. I rergard this as neutral.

Now electronic publication is a different matter. Here we have no long
tradition. I had been opposed to allow recognising new names from
electronic publications. Such problems had been predicted.
What we need now is more experience. Would future scientists some
decades later recognize such names that were introduced electronically
without Zoobank registry? Or would the Zoobank entries finally win the
game? I do not see much we can do now.

I wish there would have been a democratic process in this decision. My
concept of a democratic process would involve a voting procedure by
registered persons. Then the rules of the Code would have a stronger
authority.

Francisco
- University of Goettingen, Germany -