[Taxacom] are early online publications code-compliant?

Fautin, Daphne G. fautin at ku.edu
Thu Apr 9 11:01:30 CDT 2015

Dear Frank,

The statement that inspired my comment was from Geoff:  "It's been a surprise many authors and publishers just aren't bothering with it."  My question did not have to do with problems individual authors may have, practical or psychological.  It had to do with publishers.  As I wrote, it seems it is not that easy for publishers to automate registration.  On the Commission, we have discussed this as a step that would mean authors would not have to do it -- so names created even those who would not have registered them in in ZooBank will be in ZooBank if they were to be published in a journal that, as a matter of routine, registered its names.  It was my understanding that that is what Zookeys does.  But perhaps I am wrong on both counts?

My point was that it may be that publishers "aren't bothering with it" because it is considered burdensome.  There may come a time registration will be as routine as any other step in the nomenclatural process, but if we want to encourage registration, it is in our interests to make it as simple as possible.  It seems not to be simple enough yet.

Sincerely,
Daphne

Daphne G. Fautin
Professor, Ecology and Evolutionary Biology
University of Kansas
1200 Sunnyside Avenue
Lawrence, Kansas 66045 USA

telephone 1-785-864-3062
fax 1-785-864-5321
skype user name daphne.fautin
cv: www.nhm.ku.edu/inverts/daphne.html

    database of hexacorals, including sea anemones
       most recent version released 2 January 2013
hercules.kgs.ku.edu/Hexacoral/Anemone2/index.cfm