[Taxacom] are early online publications code-compliant?

Richard Pyle deepreef at bishopmuseum.org
Thu Apr 9 12:03:07 CDT 2015

Hi Frank,

> Has anybody ever had a problem to register a work in ZooBank?

Yes -- many people have (unfortunately).  I do my best to help them whenever they take the time to send an email to admin at zoobank.org; but the system is far from perfect.  The main issues people have are:

1) Sometimes when people create a ZooBank login account, the email with the activation link never reaches them (usually because it gets filtered out as SPAM by their email service).
2) Occasionally the server that ZooBank resides on gets maxed out on memory usage and the ZooBank website slows to a crawl or even stalls completely. Fortunately, this problem has been greatly reduced ever since we switched to a new server with much more RAM; but it still happens occasionally.
3) Certain older browsers (particularly Internet Explorer) do not play well with ZooBank.
4) Although we have translated some of the pages into multiple languages, we still need to translate the "About" and "Help" pages, to make it easier for non-English speakers to understand the process.
5) We still find bugs in the system every once in a while (not common, thankfully).

I'm happy to report that these problems are gradually decreasing over time -- but that doesn't mean we shouldn't continue to try to improve them. The number of user accounts continues to grow steadily (now over 2300), and we still have many registrations coming in on a regular basis (http://zoobank.org/statistics), so in general things are working.  But there is still MUCH we need to do to improve it.

Aloha,
Rich

Richard L. Pyle, PhD
Database Coordinator for Natural Sciences | Associate Zoologist in Ichthyology | Dive Safety Officer
Department of Natural Sciences, Bishop Museum, 1525 Bernice St., Honolulu, HI 96817
Ph: (808)848-4115, Fax: (808)847-8252 email: deepreef at bishopmuseum.org