[Taxacom] are early online publications code-compliant?

Richard Pyle deepreef at bishopmuseum.org
Thu Apr 9 12:36:29 CDT 2015

Hi Daphne,

> My point was that it may be that publishers "aren't bothering with it" because it
> is considered burdensome.  There may come a time registration will be as
> routine as any other step in the nomenclatural process, but if we want to
> encourage registration, it is in our interests to make it as simple as possible.  It
> seems not to be simple enough yet.

I definitely agree!  However, I suspect that the vast majority of failure to comply is due to unawareness of the need for registration, rather than a conscious choice not to register due to it being too burdensome.  For what it's worth, many people have told me that the registration process for ZooBank is MUCH easier than it is for GenBank. Thus, I think the real problem (which is trending for the Code in general; not just ZooBank/electronic publication) is the attenuating awareness about the existence of the Code, and how to conform to it. This seems to be particularly pervasive among the next generation of taxonomsists.

I have said this many times before: we are at an awkward period of history that represents the transition between paper-based information dissemination and electronic information dissemination.  No one should be surprised that that there are problems and difficulties associated with this transition, which has been ongoing for at least a decade, and probably will continue for perhaps another decade.  Rather than focus our energy on applying "band-aids" to the problems specific to the transition period, I think we should be focused on paving the road ahead in order to speed our progress towards completing the transition process as soon as possible, and achieving stability once again.

Aloha,
Rich

Richard L. Pyle, PhD
Database Coordinator for Natural Sciences | Associate Zoologist in Ichthyology | Dive Safety Officer
Department of Natural Sciences, Bishop Museum, 1525 Bernice St., Honolulu, HI 96817
Ph: (808)848-4115, Fax: (808)847-8252 email: deepreef at bishopmuseum.org