[Taxacom] are early online publications code-compliant?

Lyubomir Penev lyubo.penev at gmail.com
Fri Apr 10 02:00:56 CDT 2015

Dear Daphne,

ZooKeys registers new names at ZooBank for its authors since its first
published issue (4th of July 2008). ZooKeys was the first journal that made
ZooBank registration mandatory years before the amendments to the Code were
endorsed by ICZN. For several years we did the registrations manually in
house, but now we do this via XML submission as said in my previous mail.
This can be extremely convenient especially in the increasing number of
cases where hundreds of new taxa are described in one paper. Just a matter
of policy and routine.

Several times and at different fora I had the chance to express my opinion
that PUBLISHERS should be responsible for ZooBank registrations, even
because of the simple reason that they handle the metadata and content till
the very act of publishing.

Also, in my view, it was a big mistake that amendments were applied for
e-only publications only. I hope this will be corrected soon so that all
new names and nomenclatural acts should be registered at ZooBank,
independently of the means of publication.

Cheers,
Lyubo

.

--