[Taxacom] are journal-ranking algorithms code-compliant?

Fred Schueler bckcdb at istar.ca
Mon Apr 13 18:01:01 CDT 2015

Quoting Neal Evenhuis <neale at bishopmuseum.org>:

> However, until employers (mainly in academia) do away with evaluating
> their employee taxonomists based on where they publish (i.e., high ranking
> journals), many taxonomists will not switch over to this zero-ranking
> registration/repository system.

* I'm glad I got my unemployable badge before this ranking of
individuals by the ranking of the journals in which they publish came
in. This practice has always seemed to me to be an
institutionalization of pure stinking cowardice - those seeking to
violate the commandment "judge not, lest ye be judged" rank journals
by popularity criteria solely because they're afraid they (perhaps as
administrative trolls luring under academic bridges) couldn't
understand the work of the person they're supposed to be evaluating.
They fob the job off on a numerical assessment of the journals, and go
home to supper.

This is a total inversion of the taxonomic notion of "publication," in
which it doesn't matter where you publish something, so long as it is
available.

fred.
           Frederick W. Schueler & Aleta Karstad
       Mudpuppy Night - http://pinicola.ca/mudpup1.htm
Vulnerable Watersheds - http://vulnerablewaters.blogspot.ca/
     study our books - http://pinicola.ca/books/index.htm
"[The] two fundamental steps of scientific thought - the conjecture
and refutation of Popper - have little place in the usual conception
of intelligence. If something is to be dismissed as inadequate, it is
surely not Darwin [, whose] works manifest the activity of a mind
seeking for wisdom, a value which conventional philosophy has largely
abandoned." Ghiselen, 1969. Triumph of the Darwinian Method, p 237.