[Taxacom] are journal-ranking algorithms code-compliant?

Doug Yanega dyanega at ucr.edu
Mon Apr 13 19:18:14 CDT 2015

On 4/13/15 4:44 PM, Roderic Page wrote:
> Hi Doug,
>
> Alas that’s not how impact factor works. It’s a function of both the
> number of articles published by a journal, and the number of
> citations, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impact_factor
>
> Given that most taxonomic work is likely to few citations (certainly
> over the two-year period typically used when calculating impact
> factor). Consider Zootaxa, far and away the largest journal in
> zoological taxonomy. In 2013 approximately a quarter of all published
> animal names were published in Zootaxa, but its impact factor in the
> same year was 1.060
> http://www.mapress.com/zootaxa/support/impactfactor.htm
>
> A mega journal for taxonomy is pretty much exactly the wrong strategy
> to maximise impact factor.

So, if Zootaxa went from 25% of all names to 100%, you're saying that
its impact factor would DECREASE?

Also, while I see your point in terms of the status quo, are you not
among the people advocating that scientific names that are digitally
published get automatically linked back to their original publications?
If this becomes common practice, will that not mean that every time a
scientific name appears in print, it will *automatically* create a
trackable, quantifiable citation event? This is more a matter of how
people track citations, and is *also* presumably subject to change as
technology evolves. I admit that I assume it will change to our
advantage, and in precisely this way. Do you not see this happening?

Sincerely,