[Taxacom] are journal-ranking algorithms code-compliant?

Michael A. Ivie mivie at montana.edu
Mon Apr 13 19:26:19 CDT 2015

If Zootaxa publishes 1,000 papers per year, and half of them are cited
once in the first 2 years, its Impact factor would be 0.5.
1000/2000 (two years of papers are used)

If it published 50 papers per year, and they had an average of 3
citations each in the first 2 years, it would be 3.0
300/100

If they publish 2 papers, and those are each cited 100 times, the impact
factor would be 50!
200/4

"Impact" is the number of citations per published paper, and only
citations in their list count.

Big is not the issue.

Mike

On 4/13/2015 6:18 PM, Doug Yanega wrote:
> On 4/13/15 4:44 PM, Roderic Page wrote:
>> Hi Doug,
>>
>> Alas that’s not how impact factor works. It’s a function of both the
>> number of articles published by a journal, and the number of
>> citations, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impact_factor
>>
>> Given that most taxonomic work is likely to few citations (certainly
>> over the two-year period typically used when calculating impact
>> factor). Consider Zootaxa, far and away the largest journal in
>> zoological taxonomy. In 2013 approximately a quarter of all published
>> animal names were published in Zootaxa, but its impact factor in the
>> same year was 1.060
>> http://www.mapress.com/zootaxa/support/impactfactor.htm
>>
>> A mega journal for taxonomy is pretty much exactly the wrong strategy
>> to maximise impact factor.
>>
> So, if Zootaxa went from 25% of all names to 100%, you're saying that
> its impact factor would DECREASE?
>
> Also, while I see your point in terms of the status quo, are you not
> among the people advocating that scientific names that are digitally
> published get automatically linked back to their original publications?
> If this becomes common practice, will that not mean that every time a
> scientific name appears in print, it will *automatically* create a
> trackable, quantifiable citation event? This is more a matter of how
> people track citations, and is *also* presumably subject to change as
> technology evolves. I admit that I assume it will change to our
> advantage, and in precisely this way. Do you not see this happening?
>
> Sincerely,

Michael A. Ivie, Ph.D., F.R.E.S.

Montana Entomology Collection
Marsh Labs, Room 50