[Taxacom] are journal-ranking algorithms code-compliant?

Fred Schueler bckcdb at istar.ca
Tue Apr 14 08:35:33 CDT 2015

Quoting Dan Lahr <dlahr at ib.usp.br>:

> Assume that the authority placed after a name, besides being metadata that
> objectively establishes unambiguous taxon identity, is ALSO a citation.
> This should actually mean that taxonomic descriptions are in fact highly
> cited.

> Perhaps it is easier to start actually adding authority citations in the
> references list.  This would certainly increase IF, not to mention it may
> increase objectivity in some works. I am not entirely sure what the
> down-side to doing this would be.

* Bill Brown suggested this back in the 1960s, just on epistemological
grounds, before there were journal- or citation-ranking systems. The
problem, to my mind, is that since the proper thing to cite is not the
original author of the name, but the revision that embodies the
species concept to which the name, as used, refers, so if the original
author was also included names would look something like

  Xus yus ((McGooby), Peterson 2013)

This would be valuable, and would boost citations for current
taxonomic works, but it would be a different format from the
conventionally written author of the name.

fred.
           Frederick W. Schueler & Aleta Karstad
       Mudpuppy Night - http://pinicola.ca/mudpup1.htm
Vulnerable Watersheds - http://vulnerablewaters.blogspot.ca/
     study our books - http://pinicola.ca/books/index.htm
"[The] two fundamental steps of scientific thought - the conjecture
and refutation of Popper - have little place in the usual conception
of intelligence. If something is to be dismissed as inadequate, it is
surely not Darwin [, whose] works manifest the activity of a mind
seeking for wisdom, a value which conventional philosophy has largely
abandoned." Ghiselen, 1969. Triumph of the Darwinian Method, p 237.