[Taxacom] are journal-ranking algorithms code-compliant?

Anthony Gill gill.anthony at gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 18:52:35 CDT 2015

I too cite authors of taxonomic names as a matter of routine. However, I
agree that's a superficial take on our actual contribution as taxonomists.
I find it curious that end-users of taxonomic studies rarely cite  the
literature they use (whether directly or indirectly). For example, I think
peer reviewers should insist that authors cite publications used to
identify species in their studies ... and should also evaluate whether the
identification sources are adequate (a field guide is not always adequate,
nor are many of the identification portals that deliver second-hand, and
often superficial information).

Tony

Dr Anthony C. Gill
Natural History Curator