[Taxacom] are journal-ranking algorithms code-compliant?

Gerwin Kasperek sls2411 at ub.uni-frankfurt.de
Tue Apr 14 23:18:14 CDT 2015

Quoting Stephen Thorpe <stephen_thorpe at yahoo.co.nz>:
> It would be completely pointless to treat name authorities as
> citations! For one thing, certain Turks would rub their hands with
> glee at the prospect of all those citations for renaming homonyms!
> For another thing, it makes no more sense than to cite the person
> who first coined any term used in the article, or a person who
> helped to invent any concept used therein. Should we cite Linnaeus
> every time we use the Linnean system of naming? Should we cite
> Hennig every time a cladistic concept is used? Should we cite Thomas
> Edison if we mention a light bulb?
> Stephen

Eugene Garfield, inventor of the impact factor, wrote some interesting
papers on what he called uncitedness. He saw three forms of uncitedness:
uncitedness I: publications too irrelevant or lousy
uncitedness II: publications overlooked by later authors
uncitedness III: "It is an uncitedness of distinction that comes to
those whose work has become so well known (and presumably been
previously so heavily cited) that one finds it at first tedious, then
unnecessary, and finally actually gauche to cite such men at all." (E.
Garfield, Essays of an Information Scientist 1: 413-414, 1973)

Obviously, Garfield did not recognise uncitedness of taxonomic
authors, else he would have considered this to be form no. IV. Most
cases of uncitedness of taxonomic authors do not seem to fit any of
the three forms described (although a minority might be refered to
form III).

Regards
Gerwin Kasperek