[Taxacom] are journal-ranking algorithms code-compliant?

Derek Sikes dssikes at alaska.edu
Wed Apr 15 10:28:12 CDT 2015

I feel I should provide a little more detail on one example of this problem:

In the thesis, typical of many works, any author who wrote "These species
may form a monophyletic group because they all share x, y and z." was cited
because this was a hypothesis of phylogenetic relationship that the student
could test.

But if an author and actually named that monophyletic group as a new genus
back in 1977... and although the student also wanted to test the monophyly
of all genera... the authors of those genera were not cited.

The lesson learned - if you want your work to be cited, never name your
monophyletic groups!

-Derek

On Tue, Apr 14, 2015 at 8:18 PM, Gerwin Kasperek <
sls2411 at ub.uni-frankfurt.de> wrote:

> Quoting Stephen Thorpe <stephen_thorpe at yahoo.co.nz>:
>
>> It would be completely pointless to treat name authorities as citations!
>> For one thing, certain Turks would rub their hands with glee at the
>> prospect of all those citations for renaming homonyms! For another thing,
>> it makes no more sense than to cite the person who first coined any term
>> used in the article, or a person who helped to invent any concept used
>> therein. Should we cite Linnaeus every time we use the Linnean system of
>> naming? Should we cite Hennig every time a cladistic concept is used?
>> Should we cite Thomas Edison if we mention a light bulb?
>> Stephen
>>

> Eugene Garfield, inventor of the impact factor, wrote some interesting
> papers on what he called uncitedness. He saw three forms of uncitedness:
> uncitedness I: publications too irrelevant or lousy
> uncitedness II: publications overlooked by later authors
> uncitedness III: "It is an uncitedness of distinction that comes to those
> whose work has become so well known (and presumably been previously so
> heavily cited) that one finds it at first tedious, then unnecessary, and
> finally actually gauche to cite such men at all." (E. Garfield, Essays of
> an Information Scientist 1: 413-414, 1973)
>
> Obviously, Garfield did not recognise uncitedness of taxonomic authors,
> else he would have considered this to be form no. IV. Most cases of
> uncitedness of taxonomic authors do not seem to fit any of the three forms
> described (although a minority might be refered to form III).
>
> Regards
> Gerwin Kasperek

>> On Wed, 15/4/15, Frank T. Krell <Frank.Krell at dmns.org> wrote:
>>
>>  Subject: RE: [Taxacom] are journal-ranking algorithms code-compliant?
>>  To: "mivie at montana.edu" <mivie at montana.edu>, "deepreef at bishopmuseum.org"
>> <deepreef at bishopmuseum.org>, "'Dan Lahr'" <dlahr at ib.usp.br>, "'Stephen
>> Thorpe'" <stephen_thorpe at yahoo.co.nz>
>>  Cc: "'TAXACOM'" <taxacom at mailman.nhm.ku.edu>, "penev at pensoft.net" <
>> penev at pensoft.net>
>>
>>  It doesn't help the
>>  impact factor, but it helps citation counts of authors (i.e.
>>  us taxonomists). So it would be good for our metrics rather
>>  than for the journals' metrics.
>>  Frank
>>

>>  Dr. Frank-T.
>>  Krell
>>  Curator of Entomology
>>  Commissioner, International Commission on
>>  Zoological Nomenclature
>>  Chair, ICZN ZooBank
>>  Committee
>>  Department of Zoology
>>  Denver Museum of Nature & Science
>>  2001 Colorado Boulevard
>>  Denver, CO 80205-5798 USA
>>  Frank.Krell at dmns.org
>>
>>  Phone: (+1) (303) 370-8244
>>  Fax: (+1) (303) 331-6492
>>  http://www.dmns.org/science/museum-scientists/frank-krell
>>  lab page: http://www.dmns.org/krell-lab
>>
>>  The Denver Museum of Nature
> [...]

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Derek S. Sikes, Curator of Insects
Associate Professor of Entomology
University of Alaska Museum
907 Yukon Drive
Fairbanks, AK   99775-6960

dssikes at alaska.edu

phone: 907-474-6278
FAX: 907-474-5469

University of Alaska Museum  -  search 292,082 digitized arthropod records
http://www.uaf.edu/museum/collections/ento/

Society and / or sign up for the email listserv "Alaska Entomological
Network" at
http://www.akentsoc.org/contact.php