[Taxacom] Some thoughts on the "independence" of nomenclature and taxonomy

John Grehan calabar.john at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 12:42:13 CDT 2015

I think Nico's comments pertain to the practice of science in general in
addition to taxonomy and systematics. The language of science is laden with
terminology that lulls one into complacency unless one takes the effort to
question it. I am guilty as anyone else for using propaganda, and may have
even used 'objective', although I hope it was in the context of being 'more
objective', but of course it is a matter of judgment. One term I have seen
used often in molecular systematics is "overwhelming evidence" as if saying
it is sufficient justification for saying it.

John Grehan