[Taxacom] Some thoughts on the "independence" of nomenclature and taxonomy

Richard Pyle deepreef at bishopmuseum.org
Wed Apr 22 17:29:27 CDT 2015

I think part of the problem with this discussion is the ambiguity of what you are implying by words like "nomenclature" and "taxonomy".  There are probably as many different definitions of these words as there are practitioners of the activities they imply.  For example, "nomenclature" might be defined broadly as "the application of text-string names as labels to implied taxon concepts" -- in which case "nomenclature" is deeply entangled with taxonomy.  Or, you might define "nomenclature" more narrowly as the set of rules associated with the application of the Code(s) of nomenclature, in which case the overlap between nomenclature and taxonomy is much more precisely represented by the top figure in your taxonbytes post (i.e., the type specimen and perhaps a few minor implied areas of overlap).

With sufficiently imprecise terminology, we have broad latitude to draw almost any grand conclusions we wish.

Aloha,
Rich

Richard L. Pyle, PhD
Database Coordinator for Natural Sciences | Associate Zoologist in Ichthyology | Dive Safety Officer
Department of Natural Sciences, Bishop Museum, 1525 Bernice St., Honolulu, HI 96817
Ph: (808)848-4115, Fax: (808)847-8252 email: deepreef at bishopmuseum.org