[Taxacom] Forgotting at the edge of miracles

Dr. Antonio Lopez cycas at mnhnc.inf.cu
Thu Apr 23 13:24:32 CDT 2015

Colleague:

Thank you for the article of Head. Only when I read everything I am able to understand and to reason. I never understood that supposed difference between dispersalism and vicariancism as different schools. For me living in an oceanic island, both processes go together and they are extremely important. All the species arrived for dispersal. Then, in a place where two species of age’s different cohabit. One arrived 50 million years ago and the other one only a million years ago. The lineage don’t has common history.

Then a marine transgression converted in two a single territory. Appear two new species, in the new territory. Then it retire the waters and the four species meet. These species occupy, by adaptive radiation, the new territories free of life after the waters retire. Remember that the theory of Island don’t work when migration tend to zero and extinction to infinite. Problem of majority of oceanic island in the world.

Then which biogeography school has the reason?

Dr. Antonio López Almirall

Conservador del Herbario

Museo Nacional de Historia Natural

Obispo 61, Plaza de Armas