[Taxacom] Forgotting at the edge of miracles

Richard Pyle deepreef at bishopmuseum.org
Sat Apr 25 07:35:40 CDT 2015

The same argument could be applied to ANY model of biogeography (dispersal, vicariance, panbiogeography, etc., etc.)  That is, any presumption that any single model accounts for every pattern (or even most patterns) is, in my opinion, naïve.  This is not to say that, in the end, one model does not dominate.  But we are SO, SO, SO far away from understanding both evolutionary history and the actual distribution patterns of most living things, that only people who don't really understand the nature of biodiversity make claims that we are close to fully understanding it.

Aloha,
Rich