[Taxacom] Forgotting at the edge of miracles

John Grehan calabar.john at gmail.com
Sat Apr 25 11:01:07 CDT 2015

I would have not problem with assuming (long distance out of the ordinary)
dispersal explanations if there were direct evidence of such, and an
absence of conflicting evidence in the biogeographic facts (facts in the
sense of distribution patterns). Vicariant (allopatric) patterns do not
require theorized explanations of miraculous dispersal events. I think that
there was too much of a rush to use the molecular clock as a form of actual
evidence and so its practitioners blinded themselves from the obvious
limitations of the approach.  I sometimes wonder if the attraction of
molecular clocks and its apparent falsification of vicariance was because
it avoided the need for otherwise tedious (for those not really interested
in the detailed dovetailing of phylogeny, geography, and tectonics) need
for comparative analysis.

John Grehan