[Taxacom] Forgotting at the edge of miracles

Stephen Thorpe stephen_thorpe at yahoo.co.nz
Sat Apr 25 17:15:59 CDT 2015

Biogeography is just a pompous "academic" (in the worst sense) waste of time! Putting aside, for present purposes, the vast issue of marine biogeography, chance transoceanic dispersal of terrestrials is *unlikely*, yes, but all that means is that it isn't going to happen lots of times in a short stretch of time. Given many millions of years, it can still happen often enough to be a significant factor. There seems to be a slide from "unlikely to happen" to "can't happen"! Any academic discipline which is based ultimately on chance events is not going to be very useful! Biogeography ... we don't need to know! The existence of sister taxa on adjacent islands (or other landmasses) can be explained equally well by dispersal (since dispersal is most likely to happen between adjacent landmasses) or by vicariance (since vicariance is most likely to happen between adjacent landmasses)!

Stephen