[Taxacom] Why stability?

Nico Franz nico.franz at asu.edu
Wed Apr 29 12:19:53 CDT 2015

Thank you, Peter.

   My post links at the end to a paper describing Avibase (
http://avibase.bsc-eoc.org/). The paper's Abstract states:

"Avibase has been successfully used to describe and organize 844,000
species-level and 705,000 subspecies-level taxonomic concepts across every
major bird taxonomic checklist of the last 125 years."

   I think this system relevantly approaches a best-of-both-worlds
solution, given the stated purpose. We can likely retain Linnaean naming in
full - benefitting from the reference services it provides for humans daily
and also over time (though with limits) - while building semantics on top
that contextualize and integrate meanings at a more granular level that
computers can process at greater scales.

   Another exploration of this is here:
http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0118247
Tiny scale, but fairly deep taxonomic semantics. Linnaean names too.

Cheers, Nico