[Taxacom] Why stability?

Richard Pyle deepreef at bishopmuseum.org
Wed Apr 29 14:38:45 CDT 2015

I agree with Nico, and with the direction of this thread I general (but I think it's a bit conflated with "nomenclatural stability" -- at least in terms of how the ICZN Code defines it).

The quick & dirty solution for practicing taxonomists is actually VERY simple, and doesn't require any development of digital/data infrastructure.  That solution is basically this:  In the same way that responsible taxonomists (and determiners of specimen taxon identifications) include the nomenclatural authorship when documenting a Linnean-style name (in a publication, on a specimen label, in a database, etc.); we can get 90% of the benefit of high-granularity taxon concepts resolution if we were consistent about also adding "sensu Jones 1995" [etc.] to our names.  If you prefer, use "sec." instead of "sensu" -- but the point is that this one VERY simple step -- which some taxonomists have been doing already -- allows us to bridge the gap between the fuzzy nomenclature-only concepts to the much less fuzzy Taxon-name-usage (TNU) instance (i.e., more precisely implied taxon concept).  And (BONUS!) -- this convention is reasonably friendly to human cognition!

Aloha,
Rich