[Taxacom] Why stability?

Stephen Thorpe stephen_thorpe at yahoo.co.nz
Wed Apr 29 18:15:42 CDT 2015

What Mary said is, IMHO, somewhat mixed up and confused! One should cite the authors of the original combination primarily for nomenclatural (not taxonomic reasons). Botany confuses the issue by making combinations a nomenclatural matter. Zoology treats them (almost entirely) as taxonomic. The "reference used for the identification" is another matter altogether. Most IDs published in ecological studies are done by people ("experts"), who, like myself, identify taxa based more on experience/memory with relevant collections and familiarity with the local fauna, rather than by way of a specific publication. Many species can only be identified by a historical chain of IDs, hopefully involving comparision to the type at some stage along the way. They cannot be identified from the literature.

Stephen