[Taxacom] Why stability?

JF Mate aphodiinaemate at gmail.com
Wed Apr 29 20:15:21 CDT 2015

Sorry Stephen but this is incorrect. Everybody´s "experience" is a
combination of actual experience (burning the midnight oil comparing
own material against identified specimens in a museum or advice from
colleagues or mentors that we have internalised and made our own for
example) and literature. By putting your name on the I.D. label and
the year you tell others more or less at what stage of your experience
you where at when you attached the label. The "sec" is to indicate on
which authors you rely on (let´s face it, nobody is an expert in every
group). For example, in Europe if you work on scarabs you rely on
Baraud and Balthasar most of the time. In 50 years we may have
different ones but it would be helpful to know which one you owned or
used most often or a that time. As a practical example think of
Aphodius fimetarius. Since 2001 I write "sensu Wilson 2001" to make it
clear that the concept I am using acknowledges the specific
distinctiveness of pedellus.

As to citing the authority, I see it as part of the binomial. It makes
communication more accurate.

Jason