[Taxacom] Why stability?

Stephen Thorpe stephen_thorpe at yahoo.co.nz
Wed Apr 29 20:21:39 CDT 2015

Sorry Jason, but I was not incorrect! As I said, many (perhaps most) species are not identifiable from the literature. Most insect IDs (at least in this country) are done by somebody directly comparing specimens to already identified specimens in collections. Typically, the only thing published is a useless original description from the 1800s or something. Hence there is no publication to cite for the identification. "Experience" enters the issue because the result of comparing specimens depends on the experience of the person doing the comparison, i.e. a newbee will typically make lots of mistakes.

Stephen