[Taxacom] Why stability?

Weakley, Alan weakley at bio.unc.edu
Wed Apr 29 21:22:09 CDT 2015

In museums/herbaria, papers, checklists, databases, etc. -- essentially all uses of specimen or observation data -- it is critical to know the taxonomic schema being employed.  IF (in any of those contexts) it is stated "Andropogon virginicus Linnaeus" (which is actually no more meaningful in taxonomic practice than "Andropogon virginicus", because there is no other nomenclatural author of "Andropogon virginicus" than Linnaeus), there is great ambiguity as to the meaning.  Citing sensu (or sec) a particular flora or monograph is IMMENSELY helpful (example:  sec Chris Campbell in Flora of North America 2007).  The specimen or observation might still be misidentified, but at least one knows what the identifier was trying to identify it to:  A, or A+B+C, or A+B+C+D+E+F, or A+B+C+D+E+F+G+H, or A+B+G+H (the type is within the concept of A).  Without the 'sensu' or 'sec', we are left with (mostly fruitless) conjecture about sensu strictissimo, sensu stricto, sensu lato, or sensu latissimo.  Or the prospect of just degrading all the information to the broadest possibility.  In our herbarium we encourage use of the sec or sensu, and many collectors do.  It will save a lot of fruitless time-wasting we in this community can't afford, of the kind of "well, in 1947 when Bob Godfrey labeled a specimen Andropogon virginicus, did he mean A or one of the other broader combinations of what we now recognize as 10 or 11 separate taxa, and if so which of those combinations did he mean?  Can we figure out his taxonomic concepts then by looking at all his Andropogon specimens from that year, and/or the paper he published in 1953, or the letter to his wife?  Or should we just assume we can know nothing and just re-identify all 10,000 Andropogon specimens in the Southeastern United States, because all past IDs have no secure meaning?  Wouldn't it be simpler if he had put on the label "Andropogon virginicus L., sensu Small 1933"?

This is of course the reason data aggregation is so difficult and some of the attempts so frustrating.  The usefulness of data aggregation can withstand the occasional misidentification (and these may stand out in various ways and can then be corrected) -- a great example is the CalFlora webpage which highlights records that "seem odd".  The usefulness of data aggregation cannot withstand pulling information together and attaching it to the name "Andropogon virginicus" when some of the data means Andropogon virginicus "A" and some of it means Andropogon "A+B+C+D+E+G+H" (and some of it some of the other schemas).  Then the aggregated data distort the truth about each one of A, B, C, D, E, F, G, and H.